'Nature's sweet taste'.......

So you have probably seen the Ad or heard of this magical product,
That wasn't sarcastic! I was being truthful, it generally is quite cool that something 'natural' with no calories can taste 200/300 times sweeter than sugar.


So last week I ventured to Morrison's to find it on offer, and I couldn't resist because I have seen the ads and they really intrigued me.
Which you can watch here

I must say, I found the taste...somewhat....YUK, there is only one food that I cannot eat (goats cheese) and I will not turn down anything else; but when I made a cup of coffee with only half a spoon of PureVia in it, I just couldn't drink it! It had a very prolonged after taste....It was a strange taste...But hey! I haven't tried it baking or anything else, so Ill get back to you on that one....

So what is it I hear you ask! 
So its (according to their box)  Derived from nature....Reb A...Extract...what!...too much fancy words and confusing stuff is written on the box for me. 

Ignoring their 3 paragraphs of 'stuff' on the box, Stevia is a plant also known as sweet leaf and is Native to tropical regions; and recently the industry has gone crazy for it! its low calorie and hardly affects blood glucose levels...(ideal for diabetics)

So in that respect it really is a fantastic product, Its low calorie and doesn't raise your sugar levels.....well

But did you know it was banned in the USA in the 90's unless labelled as a dietary supplement, and has only been approved for use last year in the EU...hmmmm, so this got me thinking.....

As a studying Nutritionist, I am bound to pick things wrong with these perfect products, so here I go!..

Surely it will increase hunger; Much like artificial sweeteners, Because it gives a sweet kick...that doesn't entirely follow through, so our bodies are hungry for 'real' calories...hence the increase in appetite...so I'm thinking, would this not apply to Stevia?

So thats one..
Urm,

Another, I cannot really think of, and I have been trying to find something all day about the harmful effects; but there just hasn't been enough research done on this product, I say give it a few years and they will be tonnes of research done that may indicate that its a BAD product or may just prove its innocence.
So My verdict; I will try it again, and I will keep researching!

Laura 
x



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Watch this space!

About Me

Ambitious 19 year old who is Curious about anything and everything...

About

Follow on Bloglovin